Welcome

It is good you've come to visit us. Please feel free to browse the archives as there is a lot of information posted here. To view one of the videos simply click on the screen and the video will automatically begin. Be sure to post comments on anything which speaks to you. Thank you for stopping by.

Featured Art - Cankpe Opi

Featured Art - Cankpe Opi
Frank Howell

Featured Video - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Sunday, July 22, 2007

The story of the drum

An Abenaki Legend

It is said that when Creator was giving a place for all the spirits to dwell who would be taking part in the inhabitance of Mother Earth, there came a sound, a loud BOOM, from off in the distance.

As Creator listened, the sound kept coming closer and closer until finally it was right in front of Creator.

"Who are you?" asked Creator.

"I am the spirit of the drum" was the reply. I have come here to ask you to allow me to take part in this wonderful thing."

"How will you take part?" Creator questioned.

"I would like to accompany the singing of the people. When they sing from their hearts, I will sing, too, as though I was the heartbeat of Mother Earth. In that way, all creation will sing in harmony."

Creator granted the request, and from then on, the drum accompanied the people's voices.

No comments: