Welcome

It is good you've come to visit us. Please feel free to browse the archives as there is a lot of information posted here. To view one of the videos simply click on the screen and the video will automatically begin. Be sure to post comments on anything which speaks to you. Thank you for stopping by.

Featured Art - Cankpe Opi

Featured Art - Cankpe Opi
Frank Howell

Featured Video - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Haskell's new president works to build school around cultural values

By: Mary Pierpoint

LAWRENCE, Kan. - When Linda Sue Warner, Comanche, returned to Haskell Indian Nations University this past spring as its new president, she determined that Haskell was a ''new'' school despite the history of the institution and began looking at how the university needed to change. Her goal is to build a school around cultural values.

''I'm not the same person I was when I was here before and I am guessing neither are the people who work here,'' Warner said. ''So now everything is fresh and new. When I see familiar faces it is like meeting them for the first time - all new.''

Warner said she was happy to see that Haskell had identified its core values: accountability, respect, cooperation and honesty.

''When I saw that those core values had already been identified, I knew I could build a school around that,'' Warner stated. ''I want those core values to permeate around the school. When people meet me and then walk away, I want them to know that I am going to be accountable, respectful, cooperative and honest with them.''

During her work with the Tennessee Board of Regents, she was an associate vice chancellor for academic affairs. What this means for Haskell is a president who has experience in literally all levels of the university. The normal career track for people in Warner's former position is to be named chancellor at a large university within the state of Tennessee. But for Warner, the chance to work with Indian people again was the real golden ring.

Read more here: http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096415680

No comments: