Welcome

It is good you've come to visit us. Please feel free to browse the archives as there is a lot of information posted here. To view one of the videos simply click on the screen and the video will automatically begin. Be sure to post comments on anything which speaks to you. Thank you for stopping by.

Featured Art - Cankpe Opi

Featured Art - Cankpe Opi
Frank Howell

Featured Video - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Monday, December 17, 2007

287-mile ride a rite of passage

By: Jodi Rave

BEAR SOLDIER, S.D. - When Donaven Yellow of Wakpala, S.D., joined the Spirit Riders, he pledged to ride four years in the Big Foot Memorial Ride, a nearly 300-mile journey dedicated to the Lakota ancestors who died in one of the nation's most horrific massacres.

On Saturday, he began the fourth journey across the South Dakota prairie with 44 riders who will spend the next two weeks on horseback en route to the Pine Ridge Reservation, picking up others along the way until they number 200.

"Riding for two weeks isn't easy," said the 15-year-old Donaven. "A lot of my friends made the same commitment. It gets really cold. You've just got to ride it out.

"A couple of times, I didn't feel my toes. And my legs were shaking. I had a Gatorade in my pocket. I tried to take a drink, but it was frozen solid after a couple of hours. I was really thirsty that day, and I wasn't warm enough to keep it thawed out."

Get the whole story here: http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/12/16/news/state/40-bigfoot.txt

No comments: